If you’re one of the hundreds of thousands of Americans that are planning to schedule a corrective LASIK procedure in 2018, it’s worth mentioning that there are several facts and figures that patients are surprised to learn about during their initial consultations.
This brief editorial will highlight the most prominent bits of information you should know before booking your LASIK appointment.
The Procedure Is Remarkably Quick and Streamlined
If you partner with a reputable practitioner that specialises in LASIK in San Antonio, you’ll most likely spend about one hour in the clinic, but it’s important to note that the actual procedure only takes approximately 15 minutes to complete.
As such, the contemporary LASIK process is one of the fastest, most accessible corrective surgeries in the entire medical landscape.
LASIK Is Able to Rectify a Wide Range of Ocular Disorders
The vast majority of LASIK candidates believe that the procedure simply enhances your vision, but it’s important to note that it can actually cure the following conditions:
- Hyperopia or farsightedness, which refers to one’s inability to clearly see objects that are nearby.
- Myopia or nearsightedness, which denotes eyesight that becomes blurred when trying to view objects from a distance.
- Astigmatism, which is a defect in the eye’s spherical curvature that incites a distorted, shaky image from any distance.
- Perpetually blurry vision that isn’t associated with any of the above conditions.
- Alternative issues with your meridian or cornea.
After diagnosing your specific affliction, the practitioner will create a unique LASIK plan that will permanently resolve the problem.
LASIK Is Highly Effective and Very Beneficial
According to several high profile medical studies conducted from 2014-2017, the modern LASIK procedure is able to produce some incredible results:
- Roughly 95% of LASIK patients are able to achieve 20/40 vision, and more than 80% experience a boost to 20/20 vision.
- The recovery process is very quick, and the vast majority of patients can return to normal activities the very next day.
- The entire process is completely pain-free and doesn’t call for any bandages, stitches, or compresses. In most cases, you’ll simply have to wear some darkened sunglasses for a few hours after your appointment.
- Following the natural adjustment period – which can last anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks – approximately 90% of patients will never have to wear corrective eyewear, reading glasses, or contact lenses again.
- Based on a recent cost versus value analysis, the LASIK corrective surgery can essentially pay for itself in less than 15 months, especially if you’re one of the millions of adults that spend hundreds of dollars per year on frames, lenses, eyesight medication, fittings, and other ocular necessities.
- 97% of LASIK patients would recommend this curative procedure to a friend, colleague, or family member.
It’s easy to see why LASIK is one of the most sought-after remedies available in today’s day and age, so be sure to book an introductory meeting with your neighbourhood optometrist as soon as possible – you’ll be glad you did.